Skip to main content

Review: The Substitutes @ Taman Dataran Larkin, Johor Bahru

I found this cafe when I was nearby and looking at Google to see if there are any good cafes nearby. The Substitutes came highly rated so we decided to check it out. The cafe screams HIPSTER which is still a budding trend in JB.

The waiter was really polite and we ordered mudpie and chicken chop.



The mudpie came first. It is the usual practice to ask if we would like to have our desserts to be served now or after meals but we weren’t asked that. Nevertheless, having the dessert now was what we wanted because the dessert was mainly for me while the chicken chop was mainly for my boyfriend.

The mudpie looked like a cake but it wasn’t. The base was made out of chocolate biscuits and some icy layer. It was then topped with ice cream and 2 biscuits filled with pineapple jam if I was not mistaken. Chocolate sauce was also drizzled on the plate. Overall, it was good enough to satisfy my cravings for a dessert.



I don’t know if it was intentional but the chicken chop was burnt on both sides. Regardless, it tasted good especially with the black pepper sauce. The mash potato was okay.

Overall, I would recommend this place because I like the chicken chop despite the blackened surface which I had to remove.



Comments