Skip to main content

Review: Manila Grill @ Taman Molek, Johor Bahru

I've never been to The Philippines and I've never tried any Filipino food, so Manila Grill attracted me even though there were hardly any customers when I entered into the cafe. I had been to Manila Grill several times just to try the various Filipino food offered.

The Filipina lady was always very sweet in taking our orders and making recommendations. Such warmth and hospitality are the things I often hear about Filipinos. I think I would have a nice time visiting their country one day.

Despite the amazing hospitality, I would remain truthful and unbiased in my review. Even though there were not many customers every time I visited Manila Grill, it took quite some time for the food to arrive so I would not recommend it for those who are in a hurry.

The food below is called pancit lomi which is a type of noodles. It tasted alright the first few bites but I soon got sick of it because it was ridden with MSG. I could not finish eating it in the end. The rule of thumb is that plain rice with dishes is always the safer choice compared to noodles. This is because if the sauce or soup is terrible, the whole dish is ruin such as in the case of noodles, but plain white rice would still taste okay even if the dish isn't good.

Review: Manila Grill @ Taman Molek, Johor Bahru pancit lomi

The next dish is Afritada, which is a tomato-based dish. I can't remember if it was chicken or pork. Anyhow, this dish was okay and I could finish eating it.

Review: Manila Grill @ Taman Molek, Johor Bahru afritada

Before I had tasted any Filipino food, the only Filipino food I have heard of was Chicken Adobo so this was the first Filipino food I tried. It tasted similar to Chinese soy sauce chicken with the addition of some black pepper so it's a very safe choice for the locals. There's also pork adobo but I would recommend the chicken adobo instead even though pork is my favorite meat. This is because sometimes the pork at Manila Grill has an unpleasant smell.

Review: Manila Grill @ Taman Molek, Johor Bahru chicken adobo

The following picture is the chicken chop with rice which is probably not a traditional Filipino food. It was too salty for my liking.



The final picture below shows my favorite dish at Manila Grill which is called Sinigang. It is pork ribs in tamarind soup so it is a sour dish.

Review: Manila Grill @ Taman Molek, Johor Bahru sinigang

Other than all the above, I had also tried Sisig which is sizzling pork with egg on a hot plate. I didn't like it so I don't recommend that one.

Overall, it is worth a try at Manila Grill just to broaden your taste buds if you are feeling adventurous and are bored of the local food in Malaysia.

Comments